Monday, January 22, 2024

Sarah the Seahorse

One of my personal childhood favourites!  Made by Glass Fibre Products of Lowestoft, I believe Sarah the Seahorse was released in the late 1980s.  I first saw her at Joyland, Great Yarmouth in 1998, where she remained until the mid-2010s.  Sadly, after that time, she was sold to somebody who took her off of her base to keep as a decoration and I have no idea where she is now.

I have never seen another Sarah so I don't know much about her history.  Glass Fibre Products made a curious mix of their own designs as well as reusing moulds from other companies, and sometimes altering the designs slightly to make them their own.  To add even more confusion and chaos, Glass Fibre Products also did a lot of restoration work, often putting old toys on their own bases and giving them a whole new look, so it's impossible to say where Sarah's design originated until I can find another example or other proof.

Joyland, Great Yarmouth, May 2014.  The paintwork seen here is exactly as she would have looked when she left the Glass Fibre Products factory, but I can't recall if she ever played any kind of music in my lifetime...she was unfortunately mute by 2014, as you can hear from this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment