Monday, January 8, 2024

Hot Air Balloon

 This hot air balloon kiddie ride was released by MKC Designs in October 1983.  It worked on a mechanical lift rather than the far more commonly used hydraulic lift of the time.


Redcar, 1986.  Many thanks to Boro Billy for the film!  While the film quality is not excellent, it's lovely to hear the original tune played on the ride, also commonly used on other MKC Designs rides.

While this was once a very popular novelty ride, it has sadly become very rare in recent years, most likely due to health and safety.  (I must admit even I had my heart in my mouth watching the child in the above video hanging out of the balloon basket!) The button on the outside of the balloon was an "emergency stop".  I remember my dad curiously pushing it when I was riding one of these in Southend as a child "to see what happened", and leaving me suspended in mid-air which I found absolutely terrifying at the time!


No comments:

Post a Comment