Manufactured by Cointronics, the Telephone Car was released in 1997.
Brighton, August 1998
This was a very popular ride in the late 1990s. I remember being so excited when I saw it for the first time - it seemed rather special and unusual to cross a telephone with a car. However, as the ride grew more and more common, the novelty wore off a bit. I don't think I would be exaggerating to say that you couldn't go to a British seaside resort without seeing several of these at one point!
Hastings, August 1998
The ride takes the form of a telephone with four wheels. The rider sat inside a cut out within the telephone where there was a steering wheel and a push button for a car horn sound effect. The handset created a kind of headrest for the rider.
Joyland, Great Yarmouth, April 2017
There were two different versions, with the numbers on the front in a "rotary dial" circular format, or in rows like a push button telephone.
Fantasy Island Amusements, Canvey Island, May 2017
Like other Cointronics rides, the Telephone Car featured a unique soundtrack, including car engine noises and typical phone-related stock phrases like "Thank you for ringing" and "Who's speaking please?" The attract mode was "It's for yoo-oo!"
The ride was sold in many different colours.
Sunday, August 16, 2026
Telephone Car
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment