Manufactured by Whittaker Brothers, Nessy was released in the mid-1990s. Sharing a similar style to many other Whittaker rides of the time, Nessy had a cut-out in her back with space for two riders...and a steering wheel on each side. Yes, no monster would be complete without vehicle parts inside. I'm sure somebody is happily driving the real Monster around under the calm waters of Loch Ness...
2002 Whittaker Brothers Leaflet
The ride played "Dinosaurs Dinosaurs" when in motion. I have a hazy childhood memory of the first one of these I ever saw playing "You'll Never Find a Nessie In The Zoo" from The Family-Ness, but I find it hard to believe that would have been the case due to copyright. Maybe I was just singing it in my head. However, my mum also remembers this! If anybody else has memories of these rides playing that tune, please let me know and help us clear up the mystery!
It also had two sound effect buttons which made "dinosaur" sound effects when pushed, a roar and a chirpy little squeak!
Pensarn Pleasure Beach, May 2017
As with many Whittaker Brothers rides, Nessy underwent the colour makeover around the turn of the 21st century to bring her up to more modern standards! No longer did monsters just have vehicle parts inside them, now they wore fashionable shirts with bone patterning!
Fairworld Amusements, Cleethorpes, June 2017. While most Nessy rides were yellow, this one is a rarer blue version. I couldn't resist filming her, even though I already have more than one Nessy filmed. She was in pretty good condition to be fair, and the guy who worked in the arcade was lovely about me filming the rides, so it was a win-win situation!
According to old Whittaker Brothers promotional material, the ride measures 64" x 32" x 71".
Blackpool Zoo, October 2023. Like most of the rides at Blackpool Zoo, I'm unsure if this Nessy has been refurbished or if this is original paintwork for a later release that I haven't come across before. This one wears traditional Scottish tartan! He also plays different music, "If You Saw a Dinosaur"... I've never heard a Nessy play this song before but it certainly sounds like original Whittaker Brothers music. Still not "You'll Never Find a Nessie In The Zoo" though!


No comments:
Post a Comment