Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Sports Racer

 Released by RG Mitchell in 1990, the Sports Racer car was part of their "Classic Rides" range. It was originally sold in red (which remained the most popular version until production ceased), but a white alternative became more common in the late 1990s.


2000 RG Mitchell Catalogue

This was a very popular ride with shops in its early days, from the big supermarkets down to Woolworths, Poundstretcher and even smaller independent stores where space was at a premium.  The first one I ever saw was at out local B&Q DIY store, and I can remember my mum taking me there in my pushchair sometimes just so that I could ride on it!  I have very fond memories of that car...


Many thanks to an anonymous ride enthusiast for this video!

Another personal memory that comes to mind is seeing one of these at a car boot sale for £20 in the late 1990s.  I was still quite a young child then and was very excited to see a ride for sale.  I remember being devastated when my parents told me that it wouldn't fit in the car so no, we couldn't bring it home with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment