Friday, November 10, 2023

Battlestar Galactcar

The Battlestar Galactcar was manufactured by Automatic Toys Modena, released in 1980.


Herne Bay, August 1997

The space capsule came in a range of irridescent colours, the most common being red or green, and had a blue tinted window and yellow interior.  It had a cut out "door" on one side with a chain across to keep the rider safe inside, and originally had the words "Battlestar Galactcar" above this door.  I've seen it on two different bases, the regular Automatic Toys Modena base with their initials on the top of it, and a black 'rocky planet' shape.


Tucktonia, Christchurch - Video courtesy of Ben Wolfin

The ride had a mechanical lifting mechanism and rotated when at its highest point.

I have fond memories of one of these at an arcade/cafe in Southend-on-Sea in the 1990s.  The owner painted all of his own rides and gave them human names.  Children were allowed to ride for free by way of tokens if their parents used the other machines or bought food in the cafe.  The spaceship in question was named 'Sally'.  The first time I ever saw 'Sally', I exclaimed "Oh, it's an onion ride!" (don't ask...!)  My grandma was with us at the time and never let me live it down.  Every time we visited Southend after that she'd ask me about "Sally the Onion Spaceship"!  I think 'Sally' remained at the arcade until it closed down.  I often think about those rides and their cheerful owner and wonder what happened to him and his business.

No comments:

Post a Comment