Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Horse

Sadly, I know very little about this horse. I believe it was made as a loose copy of Edwin Hall's Muffin the Mule design in the hopes of cashing in on the popularity of that ride.  But, seeing as the ride has no manufacturer's markings, I can only guess at who made it and when.

The horse/mule appears to have originally been sold in white with black patches, similar to Muffin, and cost sixpence to ride...which tells us it was made before decimalisation in 1971.  It's unusual in the way that the coin is actually inserted into a corner of the base, but the ride is started via a button on the back of its neck.  Start buttons were rare in those days, but this does appear to be an original feature.


Old Penny Memories Museum, Bridlington, June 2014.  This unit has been converted to 20p play but retained the original 6d signs on its base.

I do have my suspicions that this horse may have been made by C.S. Puttick of Waterlooville.  Mr Puttick placed an advert in The Coin Slot in 1967 selling some "Muffin-style horses" for £165 each.  The advert states that the "6d coin operated kiddie rides" consist of a "fibreglass base and horse" with a "one minute run".  The ride is of "high quality and reliable".

Well, thank you, Mr Puttick.  I really appreciate the superb description of your kiddie ride.  Unfortunately, with no photograph and no mention of the horse's size, there are a myriad of machines that this could have been.  Considering I have never heard of C.S. Puttick & Co. in connection with any other machines, I assume this company (and the ride) had a relatively short production run so it could even be a machine I haven't seen before!

Until I find firm evidence either way, I'm placing my bets that this IS the Puttick horse. Having said that, a later advert from "C.S. Puttuk" (presumably the same chap!) states that the horses (now reduced to £150 or three for £400) measure 5'6" which this beauty clearly does not.  So, unless Mr Puttick/Puttuk made the horses in two different sizes, I suppose that theory falls flat too.

No comments:

Post a Comment